Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Sleepover Solutions

Mobs of kids take over my living room.
So my kids are at the age where sleepovers have become pretty common.  Sometimes they are even last minute, which would drive any parent over the edge, but when you have a vegan kid, it poses a whole new set of problems.  I always make sure that I know the families where my kids are spending the night.  I have actually refused to let my kids spend the night somewhere because I didn't know them very well.  I know, I'm totally uncool...but I'm OK with that!!  Anyhow, because I know the families, they are usually aware of the fact that my kids have dietary restrictions.  Pretty often, they are kind enough to buy things like veggie burgers or Oreo cookies to have on hand.  Typically, though, I send an "overnight survival pack".  In addition to the sleeping bag and change of clothes, I pack something for them to eat for dinner, something for them to have in place of birthday cake if needed, and something to eat for breakfast.  And I always make sure well ahead of time that they know that I intend to send stuff.  I have NEVER gotten any grief from the host family...ever.  And if I did, I would really question who my kids were hanging out with.  I think having an emergency food backup is a great idea for ANY vegan on the go, cause you just never know what is going to happen.  Life is frustrating enough...don't tackle it hungry :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment