Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cookie Caper


So, last week I took the kids to sing with the preschool bunch at a nursing home.  There was a lady handing out cookies which I knew very well were not vegan.  I asked, and they had eggs.  Oh boy!  I let the kids know right away not to take the cookies because they were not vegan.  My six year old is a very responsible vegan.  You would be amazed at how children will embrace veganism when it really becomes a part of their life.  I liken it to kids who live with different religious customs or cultural practices.  It's just what we do and she is really very, very good at being vegan.  She politely says no and moves on to talk to one of her friends.  My four year old likes to live life on the edge.  I found him sneaking one of the cookies and he had eaten half of one before I caught him.  He had taken it and hidden it in his sleeve!  I explained to him again that these cookies had eggs and we do not eat eggs.  He was kind of bummed out, but threw the rest of the cookie in the trash.  I was proud of him for not throwing a tantrum because a cookie is a cookie when you are four!  It's a good thing I had plenty of cookies at home.  Ah the joys of vegan parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment