Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Taste of the South

This summer I wanted to try some new recipes that I had never tried before.  One of them was a fantastic vegan key lime cheesecake.  I had no idea what to expect, but I knew what I wanted it to taste like!  A few months ago we went to The Vegetable Garden restaurant in Rockville, MD and I had a slice of their recipe.  It was so good, I knew it was going to be at the top of my list of new things to try.  So I made a similar version and it was...amazing!!!  I tested it out when we had a dinner with some vegans and omnis, and everyone raved about it.  Since it is more like a cheesecake than a typical pie, it is very, very rich.  A little goes a long way.  Here is the recipe if you want to give it a go:

Ingredients:

2 containers vegan cream cheese (Tofutti brand is best)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup lime or key lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 9-inch pre-made vegan graham cracker pie crust
fresh fruit for garnish (optional)

Preparation:

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a blender or food processor, combine the vegan cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, lime juice and zest, and cornstarch. Process until smooth and creamy. Pour into pie crust.
Bake for 50-60 minutes, until cheesecake is lightly golden brown on top. Allow to cool, then chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
(Recipe discovered at : About.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment