Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Garden Goodness

 Every year I am very proud of the gardens that we keep in our family.  We do not have a lot of space, but I feel like we are making the most of it.  We had such a wet spring here in Northern Virginia that the beginning of the season was amazing.  Everything that we planted thrived and produced good yields.  I enjoy gardening a lot for many reasons.  We save some good money during the summer and fall months because I do not have to buy as much from the grocery and the farmer's market (although I love going to the farmer's market!).  This year we have more than enough for ourselves and then we like to share with neighbors and family members.  Green beans, in particular, did very well and we were able to can more than 50 quarts of them.  And everything we have been growing is organic, which is cool because organic veggies at the farmer's market or grocery can get expensive.  A vegan can put away a lot of veggies, and fresh veggies and fruit can take 1/3 to 1/2 of my grocery bill per trip.  I love that my kids can eat green beans that they just picked in the sunshine without having to worry about pesticides.  Other than saving money and being good for the environment, having a garden is really good for my family, which comes first.  My kids help out in the garden all the time, whether it's planting, watering, picking, or whatever.  It's time that we spend together, and it is full of life's lessons.  Gardening has taught my kids how to nurture other living things, that good things come to those who wait, and that life is a circle from seed to fruit to seed and so on.  Even a small garden or a container garden can teach us so much about the world around us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment