Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Monday, August 8, 2011

Garden Feast

Fried green tomatoes in the forefront!

I am completely stoked about all the wonderful things that have been coming out of my garden this year!  Of course, there probably would have been more if our little potbellied pig didn't keep breaking into the side garden...it's a stereotype, but it's true that pigs will eat anything and will do ANYTHING for food.  Regardless, I have been enjoying fresh tomatoes, green beans, squash, zucchini, eggplant, okra, bell peppers, and more.  It's nice to have a garden feast as well.  This is where I make a meal where every dish has at least something from the garden.  I did this a few weeks ago, and invited my family at the last minute because there was so much food, I had to share it.  Good food is a great excuse to get all the family together.  That's why the food has to be REALLY good.  My mom and dad, although they are not vegan (yet), enjoy my cooking so much that they do not care what is in it.  This particular night we had boiled green beans, salad, steamed summer squash, rotini with pesto, and fried green tomatoes.  I beer-batter my fried green tomatoes and they are yummy, even the kids eat them (don't worry, the alcohol cooks out!).  All you have to do is mix flour (you know, estimate about how much you are going to use) with beer (gets really foamy, just make sure there is enough room in your bowl!) and some garlic and onion powder.  Stir till it looks a little like pancake batter.  Blot your green tomato slices with a paper towel (otherwise the batter kind of slides off), dip in batter, and fry in about a half an inch of oil.  Keep turning them as you fry them to make sure they are not burning, as the heat should be on medium.  These are so summery and fun, great for cookouts.  They do not keep well in the fridge, though, so eat em up fast!!  You won't have a problem with that, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment