Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Saturday, December 3, 2011

VegNews Peppermint Bark

I found this great recipe in the November/December issue of VegNews magazine...it is amazing and addictive!  Peppermint bark chocolatey and minty at the same time, what a combination.  It is pretty easy to make too, so I am happy to share the recipe.  I was able to whip up a batch while doing about thirty other things at the same time (as any parent/teacher/busy person knows well).  I would like to add that Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips make this bark really, truly gourmet.  My kids and my coworkers gave it two thumbs up!

 Peppermint Bark
You need: 12 candy canes, 4 cups chocolate chips, 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
Do this: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Crush the candy canes in a plastic bag with a rolling pin (this is super fun for the kids!). In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the chocolate chips (i don't have a double boiler, so I used a glass bowl set on top of a sauce pan that had a couple inches of water in it). Remove from heat and add peppermint extract and 1/2 cup of the crushed candy. On the baking sheet, pour out the mixture and spread as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the remaining candy on top, pressing the larger pieces into the chocolate. Place in the fridge for like an hour or so. Remove from baking sheet and break into pieces. Store in the fridge until you use it! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I just made this tonight for my office party. Another thing about it is that it is so pretty as well as crunchy. I added sugar to the chocolate mix so as to make the semi-sweet chocolate a little less bitter. For even more crunch, you can also add a bit of crushed graham crackers. - Carrie

    ReplyDelete