Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Go Local for the Holidays

Kimberly's Winchester, VA
One of the things I dread about the holidays is shopping.  I love the atmosphere of the holiday season, don't get me wrong.  I love the decorations and the good cheer, and the food (of course).  Vegans love food, haha!  But one way I have found to easy my shopping anxiety is to shop local businesses.  And by this I do not mean running down to the local Target (although I like the things at Target, really).  For unique gifts that really say something, try one of those shops that you don't see other places.  The local boutiques, thrift stores, and other homespun businesses often have that special thing that you just don't see anywhere else.  The items you find in these stores may or may not be vegan (although they are probably a bit more organic than anything you will find at a department store), but one thing you will be supporting is the sustainability of your local economy and preserving the vitality of small business owners.  Those small businesses really say something about who you are as a community!  Many of these places have handmade items that are the best quality.  Think about that verses the items that were mass produced in a factory.  And we all know how warm and fuzzy a factory is...they might even pay their workers minimum wage.  I always feel like the people in those little shops really go out of their way to cater to my needs because they really appreciate my business.  One of my favorite stores in the northern Shenandoah Valley is called The Purple Fern, and you most likely have a shop like this near you.  It is small and looks like a little log cabin.  Inside you can find locally made jewelry, children's toys, decorative items like wall hangings, pottery, stationary, vintage items, and more.  So take it slow (ahhh!) look around your community for all those little stores that need shoppers.
You will be surprised at what you find.
The Purple Fern   Kimberly's    http://www.shoplocal.com/


Children's gifts, locally made, at The Purple Fern in Winchester, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment