Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Rare Dish

My husband has brought home two bags of morels this week.  Morels are odd-looking mushrooms with fairly good texture and taste.  Some people rave about them and they say that they are quite a delicacy.  A local man hit the jackpot and found about 30 pounds of them and sold them for $100-150 a POUND.  Lunacy!  I thought they were yummy, though, and I was very glad that he found them and had not BOUGHT them!!!  The first time he brought them home he breaded and fried them.  Now, I have been vegan for around four years, but ate meat for my entire life before that.  And I am telling you that they reminded me of fried chicken livers, which left me a little unsettled.  Leave it to a man to fry food till it's unrecognizable (wink!).  The second time I lightly sauteed them with fresh bell peppers and served them with angel hair pasta, olives, oregano, and ground pepper.  Lots of good olive oil, too.  My husband, in true form, doused the entire thing (not mine, HIS!) with red sauce.  To each their own, right?  So my pasta with morels was very, very good, and I highly recommend it!  If you cannot find (or afford!) morels, try oyster mushrooms!  They are so delish and inexpensive and often available at the grocery store.  If you live in the country and do not have good mushrooms at your supermarket, then GO mushroom hunting!  It's a good excuse to poke around the woods with your sweetie on a nice day (wink, wink!).  Happy hunting, joyful eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment