Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Peanut Butter Conundrum

Ever since my 5 year old's tantrum over peanut butter at the Little Grill, I have been asking myself this question, "Should I switch to natural peanut butter or just leave well-enough alone?"  Natural peanut butter sounds so wholesome, but it just doesn't have the flavor and consistency of the commercially prepared varieties.  As far as I can tell, when I looked up peanut butter on Wikipedia, the main problem with commercial peanut butters is the amount of saturated and trans fats they contain, as well as preservatives.  Also, they put a lot of sugar in commercial varieties, and I think that is the main problem with my son.  He LIKES sweet peanut butter, and the natural stuff is a little reminiscent of paste...like, school paste.  Not gonna lie, if you have been eating the sweet stuff, eating the natural stuff is pretty shocking.  I think at this point in time, for us it is a matter of taste.  We try to eat healthfully, so I am going to maintain that sugar in peanut butter is not such a bad thing as long as you balance it with good choices like natural jams and whole wheat bread and do not make it a daily thing.  You have to make that choice for yourself, I am not advocating one or the other for anyone but my own kids.  I just wanted to pass on these thoughts and hopefully it will inspire someone!  A few commercial companies are jumping on the "natural" bandwagon, though.  Supposedly Jiff makes a natural peanut butter that is healthier and tastes very similar to the original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment