Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Green Machine


I have been in serious gardening mode for the last few weeks!  This is one of my favorite times of the year, and the anticipation of seeing all my hard work pay off is crazy.  We started planting back in May.  Every year we go to the Blandy Mother's Day Plant sale and pick up all kinds of organic and heirloom plants.  Many of our plants come from seed as well, like the beans.  Well, we have quite a crop this year because we terraced off another portion of the yard and now have even more growing space than last year.  Who says you can't have an awesome garden on less than an acre in the city?  So this is a vegan gardener's dream come true, we have: green beans, yellow squash, zucchini, sugar snap peas, broccoli, cucumbers, many kinds of tomatoes, eggplant, butterhead lettuce, bell peppers, hot peppers, potatoes, and gads of herbs like sage, parsley, oregano, and the traditional basil patch.  It is not so much hard work, I have the kids to help me.  There are many lessons to be learned when growing a garden, the most important being responsibility and an understanding of growth and new life.  I will post more as my garden produces more and I get to try many new recipes.  Can't wait for the gazpacho and the kids are begging me to make pasta sauce.  People from California, I envy you with your year-round growing season!!!!  I could really do this all year.  I think I need to build a greenhouse this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment