Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Adventures in SushiLand!










So I decided to try to make my own sushi.  It is NEVER the way I want it when we go out, and the stuff that you get at the Asian buffets almost always has fish or those yucky little orange fish eggs.  I got everything that I needed at the grocery store.  It is a brand name called Sushi Chef, and it totally rocks.  I got the Nori (seaweed paper, tastes better than it looks), the rolling mat and the paddle, the rice, the veggies for the center, and even the pickled ginger and wasabi paste.  The rice was easy but the timing had to be JUST right to get the right consistency.  While I was cooking the rice, I chopped some avocado, cucumber, and carrot slivers.  When the rice was finished, I used wet hands (really important, this stuff is super sticky) to spread it out on a piece of nori paper till it was almost flat.  I added the veggies and rolled it up.  The I used a sharp, wet knife to cut the long roll into pieces.  It was easy and delicious.  We ate it before a broccoli stir-fry.  The next time I make it, though, I will do the whole shebang ahead of time so that I do not end up overcooking my main dish...again (oopsy!).
Here is a good video if you need a visual.  It is slightly different from what I did, but looks good and it all vegan!  Trust yourself, I have done it and it IS do-able at home :)  If the video does not show up, here is the link -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU-b9XS1g5s

No comments:

Post a Comment