Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

I Heart Technology

I have an iPhone, and I love it.  Having any smart phone is like having a mini computer in your pocket, which is sweet because I LOVE to look things up.  Well, it comes in handy so much, especially being a vegan with a family that likes to get around.  Don't get me wrong, by now you know I love to cook.  But I am in love with hunting down new places to eat when I am out and about.  It's such a challenge!  Here in my hometown, we know exactly where to go to eat.  But while we were on vacation a few weeks ago, we were not so sure.  Enter iPhone.  I have a few apps to recommend.  If you have used Happy Cow to find a restaurant, download their app called VegOut for $2.99.  OR if you are in a spot with free WiFi, just use Happy Cow to search for a place to eat.  Vegan Steven is another great app for finding restaurants.  Cooking at your rental house or condo?  VegWeb is a super app, and will provide you with over 13,000 recipes.  Need to find a Farner's Market for ingredients?  Try MrktFinder, which also has recipes as well.  An app that I like is Vegan is Easy...sometimes I am looking at ingredients on the labels at the grocery and I just have no earthly idea what they are or if they are vegan.  Vegan is Easy will clue you in on what's vegan and what is not.  iVegan does the same thing, and includes an extensive list of alcohols as well.  That is how I found out that Pabst Blue Ribbon is vegan!  Thank you God!  iVegan will also tell you if your household cleaning and beauty products have been tested on animals!  While apps are great, I find myself searching the internet on my phone a LOT, and I can use the GPS to get to the places that I am searching for.  I can also listen to my favorite vegan podcasts, like Veg Cast or Go Vegan! with Bob Linden.  And a lot of the photos that I use on my blog have actually been taken with my phone.  I got along fine before my smart phone, true, but I have to say that it makes life much easier...especially when I am standing in a long line and need to get my Angry Birds fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment