Veganism : a lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Our Mission: To reinforce the idea that veganism is not only beneficial for an average busy family, but downright easy. And delicious. Check back often for posts about food, thoughts, links, and more related to living in a vegan home. Oh, and if you like something, let me know!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Back to School!

Yeah, back to school!  My house is cleaner already!  Seriously, I love my kids, but they are so creative that they just cannot help leaving disaster in their paths wherever they go!  So now they are back to class, my youngest started Kindergarten and my daughter is in 2nd grade.  "So what do they do for lunch?" you are, of course, wondering.  Well, when it comes to lunch, one word comes to mind: PACK!  I do not let my kids buy lunch, it is very unregulated.  I usually start with a sandwich, as they both love sandwiches.  Peanut Butter and Jelly or soy cheese and vegan mayo are their favorites, although sometimes I buy Tofurkey slices (faux turkey lunch meat) or make seitan to add.  Occasionally I will mix things up by giving them peanut butter crackers or Tofutti cream cheese and jelly crackers.  I cannot send things that need to be heated.  I give each of them a half of a sandwich.  Then I will follow that with two other choices: fruit or a fruit cup and something like veggie chips, teddy grahams, trail mix, or the like.  I also started buying Capri Sun flavored water pouches to avoid all the calories that come with juice.  They like them a lot.  Throw in a napkin and a wet wipe, and that's lunch.  You, of course, can get more creative than that if you are packing your own lunch or your kids' lunch.  Look around the grocery store and find bulk items that you can divide into individual pouches for quick access.  Anyway you look at it, packing is the best option because you KNOW what is in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment